I know. It’s June. Why am I sharing a recipe for Beef Barley soup in June? Because I am.
I made a HUGE roast the other day and I had already served it for leftovers two different ways and still had some left and so I decided to make soup. Beef barley soup is one of my favorites so I thought I would try my hand at it. Barley can take a long time to cook and it can be kind of picky when it comes to the stove top but having the Instant Pot has taken all the guess work out of it. I kind of made it up as I went along after looking up the cooking time for barley and it turned out really good!
- 7 cups of beef broth
- 2 cups cooked shredded beef
- 1 cup of pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- canned/frozen veggies
- First, add 5 cups of beef broth, the shredded beef and the pearl barley to the instant pot. Manual for 25 minutes and the barley is perfectly done. Change the setting to ‘saute’ once you have removed the lid.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons of tomato paste with the remaining 2 cups of beef broth and add to instant pot.
- Add whatever veggies you want. I added a drained can of mixed vegetables which then took no time to heat.
- Eat it.
Again, I never add salt to my cooking because Joe adds so much to his food and I don’t use pepper because Joe doesn’t like pepper but I added both to my bowl of soup before I ate it. It was delicious and I feel like I can barely call this a recipe but technically it is I guess. So, this makes 2 of the 10 new Instant Pot recipes I am trying!